Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Painting the Town Yellow

Since my last blog there has been lots going on! Mark threw me a HUGE surprise party for my birthday! Was so lovely - had the best time. Mark is so thoughtful!! Lots of food, friends and kids.

Since then life has settled down back into the semi-predictable rhythm that characterises most homes with small children. Maria and Sam are both still recovering from such a fun-packed weekend, yet they are still colouring life brightly with their unique interpretations of beige everyday occurrences.

Yesterday, Sammy decided to toilet train himself. He woke up and announced to the world that he wanted to wee on the potty. Having discouraged the whole independent pee-peeing saga on the grounds of extra washing, I begrudgingly helped him organise himself and was mildly surprised when he succeeded in his endeavour.

Still not willing to entertain the thought of nappy-less Sammy, I put it down to a once off incident and went back to my thirty-seventh load of washing for the day. However, Samuel must have woken up on the 'toilet training' side of the bed that morning and throughout the day impressed me with multiple potty trips and only one very minor accident, despite outings and distractions.

Every toilet trip he declares his intentions and brings the fruits of his labour out to show us. Yesterday he even tried to empty it himself, but Mummy has reclaimed that joy after a potty full of wee-wee went splashing over the clean dishes when Sam missed the kitchen sink. He has yet to learn that in relation to potty-emptying, not all sinks are created equal.

Today he was dry all day and as you can see in the pics, very proud of himself.

Recently, Mum passed onto us a little round table made by her Dad back when I was born. I can remember drawing many pictures on that table. Maria really likes it. It is nice and low - Mum told her that I learnt to walk on that table. Maria likes it for morning tea time and for little tea parties. The other day I walk in and find her standing on the table. She says 'Look Mum! I'm learning to walk on the table like you did when you were little!'. I didn't have the heart to correct her!!

Bekah is still an absolute delight. I just want to hold her and kiss her all day - Daddy, Maria and Sam feel the same way. She is just beginning to roll over and is really getting into the little baby toys and rattles. In the car today, my 'favourite' song came on their kiddie CD, so I cranked the volume and belted out 'O When the Saints Came Marching In' with gusto. On the second run through I sung out "All together now!" and low and behold, Bekah-boo-bah joined in right on cue with lovely baby singing.

There never seems to be a bland day around here - always in technicolour.

1 comment:

deirdredanes said...

Hi Katie, I'm really enjoying your lovely stories and am getting to know the children even though we are so far away!!xxx